Research Data Management Planning Workshop
A free, tutor-supported online learning workshop
August 17-20, 2020
Duration: Monday, August 17 - Thursday, August 20 (4 days)
Time Commitment: Approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour per day, for 4 straight days
Target audience: UW community members engaged in research with data.
Prerequisites: Access to the internet for each of the 4 days identified. A valid UW NetID is also required.
- This module-based workshop consists of activities and peer discussion forums that will provide tips on how to construct an effective data management plan for your data and will provide information on tips and tools to help with your research data needs.
- By asking students to share experiences with one another, this workshop provides the space and opportunity for you to reflect on your skills and to see how various techniques and tools can be employed to help you build your data management plan and most effectively share and preserve your data.
- This workshop will take place in Canvas over 4 days, with no fixed participation times (asynchronous).
- Each day corresponds to one online module, which includes a topic overview, resources, activity, and peer discussion forum.
- Discussion forums are the workshop's primary means of 'assessment,' so expect to post to forums daily.
- You will be guided through the course by a team of friendly librarian tutors, who will answer questions and provide feedback.
How to Join:
- If interested, please register via this Catalyst link no later than August 14, 2020.
- Space in the workshop is limited, and participants will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Students who register after capacity is reached may be placed on a wait list.
Comments from previous class participants:
- This is a great workshop -- exposing me to a lot of considerations about data management that I did not know about. The tutor responses have been really helpful. I was unaware of the data librarians on campus and will definitely reach out to them for more resources. Thank you!
- Very helpful and important for anyone working with data.
- I was really impressed with this workshop. It had so many wonderful resources and I learned a lot. The tutors were fantastic. ... The materials were great and easy to understand as well. It was good to know I'm heading in the right direction with data management and know how to really improve my data management. I come from an interpretive/qualitative background and often this type of research activity is learned on the job or through learning what not to do the next time around, so having this type of workshop can really help people like me prepare a lot better for the next big project. Thank you for all your hard work!
- Very helpful at all levels of experience.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Data Services Team.