From August 13-16, the UW Libraries is offering Research Data Management Planning, an asynchronous online workshop for UW community members engaged in research with data. Topics will include getting started with data management planning, funder requirements for data sharing, metadata, tips to help keep you organized, sharing, archiving and preservation, and an introduction to tools and on-campus support to aid researchers.
Note: We will be offering two concurrent versions of this class, one for health sciences researchers, the other for multiple disciplines outside of health sciences. When you register for the class, please indicate which version of the class you’d like to attend. Thank you!
Full course information and link to registration is below. Contact us with any questions.
Data Management Planning Workshop
A free, tutor-supported online workshop
August 13 -16, 2018Time Commitment: Approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour per day, for 4 straight days
Duration: Monday, August 13 - Thursday, August 16 (4 days)
Target audience: UW community members engaged in research with data
Prerequisites: Access to the internet for each of the 4 days identified. A valid UW NetID is also required.
- This module-based workshop consists of activities and peer discussion forums that will provide tips on how to effectively plan for data management over the lifecycle of your research project.
- By asking students to share experiences with one another, this workshop gives you the opportunity to reflect on your research workflow and to see how various techniques and tools can be employed to most effectively manage, share and preserve your data.
- This workshop will take place in Canvas over 4 days, with no fixed participation times (asynchronous).
- Each day corresponds to one online module, which includes a topic overview, resources, activity, and peer discussion forum.
- Discussion forums are the workshop's primary means of 'assessment,' so expect to post to forums daily.
- You will be guided through the course by a team of friendly librarian tutors, who will answer questions and provide feedback.
How to Join:
- If interested, please register via this Catalyst link no later than Friday, August 10, 2018.
- Space in the workshop is limited, and participants will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Students who register after capacity is reached may be placed on a wait list.
Comments from previous class participants:
- This is a great workshop -- exposing me to a lot of considerations about data management that I did not know about. The tutor responses have been really helpful. I was unaware of the data librarians on campus and will definitely reach out to them for more resources. Thank you!
- Very helpful and important for anyone working with data.
- I was really impressed with this workshop. It had so many wonderful resources and I learned a lot. The tutors were fantastic. ... The materials were great and easy to understand as well. It was good to know I'm heading in the right direction with data management and know how to really improve my data management. I come from an interpretive/qualitative background and often this type of research activity is learned on the job or through learning what not to do the next time around, so having this type of workshop can really help people like me prepare a lot better for the next big project. Thank you for all your hard work!
- Very helpful at all levels of experience